A new version of Mahara, the open source ePortfolio software, was released on 24 October 2013.
Catalyst IT is the maintainer of the Mahara project, but every release sees contributions from all over the open source world. Contributors for the 1.8 release included the New Zealand Ministry of Education, Teachers College Columbia University, Massey University, University of California San Francisco, University of the Arts London and Arnes in Slovenia, among others. As with every Mahara release, there are several new features in 1.8, including:
- full text search functionality (PostgreSQL support in 1.8 only; MySQL support planned for 1.9)
- an entirely new icon set and updated stylesheets and templates, including flexible page layouts
- page skins
- the ability to import Leap2A files into an existing account
Other notable new features include:
- attachments on résumé fields and text boxes/notes
- embedding PDFs in a page
- drag and drop files into the files area
- tags on all internal artefacts
- LDAP user and group sync
- improved administrative features, including filtering for duplicate email addresses and displaying the authentication method in a user search
Both Mahara 1.6 and 1.7 are still supported for security updates. The support for Mahara 1.6 will end with the release of 1.9 (targeted for April 2014), and the support for Mahara 1.7 will end in October 2014.