About the course
It’s more and more common to have intermediate compilation steps in your frontend build process, to make it possible to use newer web technologies like ES6 and CSS pre-processors. This course gives you the knowledge you need to pick the right tools, and the skills to customise your build process to meet your needs. We will focus on two of today’s most popular options, Gulp and Webpack, as well as exploring other options and looking at future trends.
- Package management
- What to store in version control
- Dependency versioning strategies
- CSS compilation
- Centralised configuration
- ES6 transpilation with Babel
- ES6 imports
- Other bells and whistles – file compression, linting, polyfills
- Autoreloading development environments
- Passing in commands via the command line
- Integrating with other build processes.
Note: These are the topics normally covered but might alter slightly depending on the needs of the attendees.
Frontend developers who want to take a step from writing vanilla JS or CSS, or those who have been using preconfigured build pipelines and want to be able to write and maintain their own. Lead developers who have an existing build process for another language and want to integrate a frontend build process into it.