About the course
Learn to use the Linux shell with us. This course teaches basic commands and simple shell scripting. Shell scripting allows the automation of collections of shell commands.
Attendees gain practical experience using the commands as they encounter them, then exercise their new skills by writing simple shell scripts.
In this session we will cover the basics of using the Linux Shell or Terminal.
- What is the Shell? Why is it important?
- Useful commands, including how to
- Move around, look at directories
- Open and edit files
- Search text files
- Ask for help
- Learn about
- Chaining commands together
- File permissions
- Learn simple shell scripts
- Using parameters and variables
- Flow control with if-statements and loops
- Return Status
- Reading input.
Note: These are the topics normally covered but might alter slightly depending on the needs of the attendees.
Desktop users who want to learn how to use the Linux Shell and learn some basic scripting.
A working knowledge of the Linux desktop, like Unity or Gnome.