Catalyst provides open source solutions and services for a wide variety of New Zealand and International organisations, including major corporations, government departments, schools, and universities. Our products and services include software design and development; managing and hosting cloud-based business applications and technical and project consulting.
Catalyst has been dedicated to using the world's best open source software and tools to deliver robust IT solutions for our clients all over the globe for 20 years. Along with our passion for open source, we are a company that is committed to equal opportunities for all, regardless of individual characteristics such as gender, age, or ethnicity.
Our hiring processes reflect our diversity policy which you can read in full here: https://www.catalyst.net.nz/content/catalyst-diversity-policy
About this role
The System Administration and Operations team delivers support, maintenance and architecture services and consists of senior engineers, team leaders, specialists and generalists. We value learning and development and encourage each other to discover and work with unfamiliar technologies. The nature of the work is varied and individuals may find themselves taking the lead role on one or more projects as well as providing general systems support. Catalyst uses open source technologies, we do not use proprietary operating systems, middleware or tools.
Areas you might work in as part of this team are:
- Cloud and virtualisation technologies (including modern Cloud environments and libvirt based traditional virtualisation)
- Diagnosing and solving hardware and software problems
- Administering production Ubuntu Linux systems
- Free software web servers (including Apache, nginx and haproxy)
- Free software databases (including Postgres and MySQL)
- Datacentre networking environments (DNS, firewalls, VLANs, VPNs and IP addressing)
- Deploying software in a secure, scalable and maintainable manner
Our team has a strong reputation for the quality of our systems and services. This is built upon repeatability, configuration management and automation combined with a flexible, inventive and professional approach to our work.
Skills & Requirements:
Hopefully you will have familiarity with Linux and the core command line tools, either from a System Administration or Operations role or personal use (if this is the case please outline your experience in your cover letter).
You will definitely need:
- Willingness and ability to learn new technologies and work in a team
- Ability to organise yourself and to adapt in a fast moving, busy environment
Here’s a non-exhaustive list of tools and technologies we like:
- Catalyst Cloud (openstack), AWS, Rackspace
- Puppet, Ansible, Terraform
- LXC, Docker, KVM
- PostgreSQL, MariaDB, MongoDB
- Redis, Celery, RabbitMQ
- Nginx, HA Proxy, Bird, Apache
- Open Compute hardware
What's in it for you?
Being a good employer is really important to us. We pay our staff a fair wage and make sure they have any support they need to grow their skills.
Our employees enjoy Pizza Thursday every month – the whole office comes together to eat pizza and share knowledge. We also get together every Friday to relax, share company news and celebrate our achievements.
We also offer subsidised health insurance, flexible working hours, plenty of training opportunities, yoga, board games, and really, really good coffee.
If you think this sounds like you, please send your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. You must have the right to work in New Zealand to apply for this role.